E03: A Day Out
In this task, you must analyze the results of a survey in order to plan a school trip.
This task asks students to select and apply mathematical content from across the grades, including the content standards:
- 7.NS: Apply and extend previous understandings of operations with fractions to add, subtract, multiply, and divide rational numbers.
Note: These references are provisional: we are still developing our critera for consistently linking individual tasks to the CCSS.
MAP Assessment Task Types
- Expert Rich, less structured tasks requiring strategic problem-solving skills as well as content knowledge.
The task types indicate the breadth and depth of CCSS mathematical practices assessed by the task. Novice tasks involve only MP2 and MP6 and do so at a low level. Apprentice tasks add MP3 and MP7 but, because of the guidance within the task, do so at a comparatively modest level. Expert tasks aim to cover the full range of practices.
Note: these task types offer a guide as to how tasks relate to the mathematical practices. We are currently considering whether referencing the specific practices relating to each task would be useful or appropriate.
- task_day_out.pdf ( 203.9K PDF/Acrobat 16 Feb 2012)
- rubrics_day_out.pdf ( 56K PDF/Acrobat 16 Feb 2012)
Student Work Analyzed
- student_day_out.pdf ( 538.9K PDF/Acrobat 16 Feb 2012)
Note: please bear in mind that these prototype materials need some further trialing before inclusion in a high-stakes test.
The MAP Summative Assessment Tasks may be distributed, unmodified, under the Creative Commons Attribution, Non-commercial, No Derivatives License 3.0. All other rights reserved. Please send any enquiries about commercial use or derived works to email@example.com.