E05: Fearless Frames
Fearless Frames Inc makes metal frames for containers.
Your task is to find the maximum volume of prism-shaped frame that can be made with a limited supply of metal.
This task asks students to select and apply mathematical content from across the grades, including the content standards:
- H.A-CED: Create equations that describe numbers or relationships
- H.M: Model with Mathematics
- 7.G: Solve real-life and mathematical problems involving angle measure, area, surface area, and volume.
Note: These references are provisional: we are still developing our critera for consistently linking individual tasks to the CCSS.
MAP Assessment Task Types
- Expert Rich, less structured tasks requiring strategic problem-solving skills as well as content knowledge.
The task types indicate the breadth and depth of CCSS mathematical practices assessed by the task. Novice tasks involve only MP2 and MP6 and do so at a low level. Apprentice tasks add MP3 and MP7 but, because of the guidance within the task, do so at a comparatively modest level. Expert tasks aim to cover the full range of practices.
Note: these task types offer a guide as to how tasks relate to the mathematical practices. We are currently considering whether referencing the specific practices relating to each task would be useful or appropriate.
- fearless_frames.pdf ( 79.3K PDF/Acrobat 07 Apr 2011)
- fearless_frames_rubric.pdf ( 64.4K PDF/Acrobat 07 Apr 2011)
Student Work - unscored
- fearless frames un.pdf ( 198.8K PDF/Acrobat 14 Apr 2011)
Student Work - scored
- fearless frames sc.pdf ( 275.9K PDF/Acrobat 14 Apr 2011)
Note: please bear in mind that these prototype materials need some further trialing before inclusion in a high-stakes test.
The MAP Summative Assessment Tasks may be distributed, unmodified, under the Creative Commons Attribution, Non-commercial, No Derivatives License 3.0. All other rights reserved. Please send any enquiries about commercial use or derived works to firstname.lastname@example.org.